Plastic recycling grinders is a useful device in any plastics processing plant. They enable the recovery of raw materials from production waste or defective products resulting from injection molding, thermoforming or extrusion. Thanks to properly selected mills, the plant recovers the valuable raw material on its own and uses it for re-production. By implementing the circular economy model, the company gains real savings, reduces the carbon footprint and the negative impact on the natural environment.
In order to properly select a mill and obtain a product ideally suited to your needs, it is worth paying attention to several aspects. It is also good to be aware that by improperly shredding the material, and thus warming it up, we can lead to its degradation, which will make it useless in the next stages of processing. A more accurately selected mill will allow you to obtain a very good quality grinding, without dust. Such a device will also be more efficient, will serve many years and pay for itself quickly.
Match the mill to the destination and material you will have!
Depending on the type of material that will be used for grinding, there are two types of devices:
- Roller mills, exemplified by the solutions of the French company MO.DI.TEC. They are perfect for hard materials such as ABS, PA, PEEK, PEAK. These are bench mills , used for recycling directly at injection molding machines. Thanks to the wide offer of the manufacturer, the device can be adapted to the type and size of the detail to be ground.
Roller mills work in a slow- running technology which has many advantages, incl. low noise level and no dusting of the ground material. This method of grinding also ensures high quality of the obtained regrind and no degradation of the material. Thanks to this, the obtained raw material can be directly returned in the production process and used to produce further, full-value details.
2. The second type of device is the knife mills of the German company Neue Herbold – designed for grinding soft products made of polyethylene, polypropylene, LDPE, as well as elastomers: TPE, TPU, TPV. Thanks to the rapid rotation of the knives in these devices, the material with a soft texture can be shredded better.
The advantages of the Neue Herbold knife mills are also:
– High processing capacity, thanks to the optimal selection of the geometry of the cutting elements,
– Low energy consumption while maintaining high efficiency,
– Low proportion of dust,
– Placing the knives at an angle to obtain a scissor cutting effect,
– Quick and easy knife replacement – adjustment of the rotor and stator knives takes place outside the mill, which significantly increases operator safety and reduces downtime to a minimum.
Which mill for the automotive industry and what for the packaging industry?
So what is the impact of the type of material used on the industry and how to best match the appropriate device to a specific purpose in the company?
In the technical and automotive industry, slow-speed mills, e.g. by MO.DI.TEC, definitely prevail. The solutions of this manufacturer currently dominate the market of automotive manufacturers. In the household appliances industry, where a lot of ABS and hard polyethylene are used, slow-speed roller mills are recommended.
What to consider when choosing a grinder? What else should you know?
- The price of the grinder
It is worth choosing a solid and reliable grinder with a long service life. Such plastic grinders are a bit more expensive, but in the long run they guarantee a return on investment and lower operating costs. Examples of proven and very solid devices are MO.DI.TEC and Neue Herbold grinders. They guarantee high work efficiency for many years.
- Power consumption
Roller mills, e.g. by MO.DI.TEC, have very low drive power, and therefore low power consumption. These are motors of the order of 0.75 kW to 2.2 kW. They are also characterized by a low rotation speed of 25 rpm.
- Operating costs
In the case of roller mills, we also have many advantages, because the cutting elements have several times longer service life between sharpening than comparable knife mills. Cutting knives need to be sharpened and replaced much more often than rolls in roller mills.
- Dust and work comfort
The roller grinder is much quieter than the knife grinder. This type of mill does not generate dust, so the comfort of work is much better.
If you have additional questions about recycling mills, please contact our Dopak sales department